Friday, October 19, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: Urban Fantasy Reviews

Today I have the great pleasure of introducing you to Kate Steves, the creator of Urban Fantasy Reviews, a wonderful blog site that SSP has had the honor of being presented on many times during tours and press releases.  Kate definitely has a discerning eye when it comes to literature, as not only is she a reviewer, but she is also a freelance editor!  Enjoy the interview below, and find out more about Kate and Urban Fantasy Reviews, and then go connect with her site!
-Stephen





Blogger Spotlight #8:

1. Tell us a little about yourself, and your background. 

I grew up loving book (my mom was huge into buying me books and reading to me every night when I was little). I got my degree in Literature from Texas A&M, and right before graduation I started my review site. I've always loved talking about books, so the review site seemed like a natural offshoot of it. After graduation I started working as a freelance editing for several small publishing houses, I job I love more than I could have ever imagined.


2. What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favorites?

I read mostly Urban Fantasy in my down time, and my favorite writer would probably be Rachel Vincent. I love her work. 

3. When did you start your blog, and what motivated you to do it?

I started it when I was about to graduate from college, mainly because I spent most of my college career writing huge papers about different books, and I realized when I graduated I wouldn't be doing that anymore. I knew I wasn't going to get my masters right away, but I wanted to at some point so I wanted to keep my writing skills as fresh as I could. Hence, the blog. I got to talk about all the different books I read, and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I am obsessive about talking about whatever book I am reading.
 
4. How did you come up with the name for your site? Is there a story behind it? 

Since urban fantasy is my favorite genre, it seemed simple enough to just go with Urban Fantasy Reviews, I call it UFR for short. 

5. What kinds of genres do you cover on your site?
While urban fantasy is my favorite, I am not limited to only urban fantasy. I love a good mystery, a do read the occasional chick-lit book, I like books that will make me laugh out loud. Generally speaking if the synopsis is good, I will probably give it a chance and review it on the site. If a synopsis just doesn't peak my interest, I don't read/review it because no author needs a bad review, and the fact of the matter is what I like is not what everyone likes. 

6. What kinds of regular features do you have on your site?
I like to do interviews with authors and guest posts from authors.
 
7. What is the hardest thing about being a blogger?
BALANCE! Since my job is reading, I do tend to get burned out with reviewing and editing. I'm still trying to figure out that balance, especially when I have an influx of books to edit. 

8. What are your favorite things about being a blogger?
Getting to read books before they come out. I am terrible about waiting for the next book in a series to come out, so I love getting books early for review. I get even more excited when I get a printed ARC with a note from the author in it, I love it. 

9. If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site, what would you say?

Don't be pushy! I can't explain how annoying it is when an author gets uber pushy with me about getting a review, or if the review wasn't enjoyed. Other than that, make sure you read their review policies before contacting the blogger will save you a lot of time. 

10. Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time?

I hope you enjoy the site, and if anyone has any suggestions or just want to chat about books, I am always up for a good conversation!



Be sure to visit Urban Fantasy Reviews and connect with Kate at the following links!
For EDITING SERVICES e-mail kate@kathrynkoller.com



2 comments:

ShareThis