Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: Reading Away the Days


Today we are heading overseas, at least for me, to visit our latest guest star for the SSP Blogger Spotlight!  Reading Away the Days is the creation of Megan McDade, a dedicated and wonderful blogger from Northern Ireland in the UK.  Megan is pretty familiar with the SSP world, having featured several of the authors on her site, but hopefully this spotlight will get you more familiar with her and Reading Away the Days!
-Stephen



Blogger Spotlight #9:


Tell us a little about yourself, and your background.

A little about me.. My name is Megan, 23 years old (24 next week!) J , redhead, food alcoholic and all around geek! *high 5 for geeks* I love learning so went to college for four years and studied Childcare, Health & Social Care and Sociology. I am the girl who loved getting an assignment in school to complete and headed to the library straight away to start it! I live in Northern Ireland, a part of the UK. Would love to travel- top destinations- USA, Canada, Australia and Africa. I am a massive TV and movie addict- top programmes- Glee, The Walking Dead and Doctor Who! Oh, I almost forgot, a total book addict! :)


What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favourites?

I read so many YA books and I love them but I have a soft spot for reading adult fiction books set during the World Wars from authors such as Annie Groves. But my favourite books are mostly paranormal series’ such as the Sookie Stackhouse series, Angel Trilogy by LA. Weatherly and The Childe Series by CA Kunz and not forgetting The Twilight Saga!


When did you start your blog, and what motivated you to do it?

I started my blog, Reading Away The Days, on the 2nd March 2011. I remember this dare because I started the blog on my best friends birthday J So I have been in the blog world for just over a year and half and have just hit my 1000th follower, which I am so happy about! What motivated me to start blogging was seeing the great book blogs out there. I discovered blogging in 2010 and just followed blogs that interested me, mostly book blogs and then decided to take the plunge myself and I haven’t looked back!


How did you come up with the name for your site? Is there a story behind it?

I have to admit I didn’t come up with the name of my blog, my sister did, a fellow blogger @ http://readinglittlebitofeverything.blogspot.co.uk/ . I just couldn’t think of a name and was coming up with such random ones and when my sister said how about Reading Away The Days and I thought it was just PERFECT!


What kinds of genres do you cover on your site?

On Reading Away The Days I cover mostly YA in all genres. I really love YA, there is just something about it that grabs me and keeps me hooked. I would say my favourite genre is YA paranormal romance and I like reading adult paranormal romance as well. I also really like books that I call “end of the world” fiction books. Books that where society is in trouble and humanity has been near wiped out due to catastrophic events. I tend to feature these book as well as the paranormal ones.


What kinds of regular features do you have on your site?

I have a regular feature on my blog every Friday where I introduce a new/upcoming YA Author. In this feature I tend to feature a lot of Indie authors which I love doing. To be part of the feature you just have to be an YA author with a book recently debuted or have a debut book upcoming. I love doing book cover reveals and really want to start making this a regular feature along with a few new ideas I am working on in the new year!


What is the hardest thing about being a blogger?

The hardest thing about blogging… blogging is hard work, it takes time and dedication. BUT I wouldn’t change it for the world. If I could do it as a full time job I would be in my element. It make me happy to promote fantastic authors and to share their work. But one thing I hate having to do is to turn authors away but I have learned that if you say yes to everyone you won’t be able to fulfil what you said you would and I feel bad if I can’t review a certain book. I have learned to say no and try and recommend someone who might be able to help them.

What are your favourite things about being a blogger?

I love everything about being a blogger. Not just a blogger but a book blogger! I love chatting to other bloggers, authors and publishers. I just love being in the whole book world!


If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site, what would you say?

My advice for authors when working with a blog site is RESPECT! This sounds like a simple thing that you shouldn’t need to ask for. It goes for the both the blogger and the author to respect each other and sadly sometimes this doesn’t happen. I have come across some authors who are very pushy and try to direct your review toward what they want you to say about it which I think is wrong. But I have to emphasize this is rare. I think you just need to remember that the book is like the authors baby and they have put so much work in to it and they may get a little overprotected about the book and want everyone to like it but what I say is, every book written is great, it just isn’t for everyone! So respecting and trusting the blogger to give a review that is respectful is something that is needed.

Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time?

I just want to thank Seventh Star Press, especially Stephen Zimmer and C.C. James, you are all great and I thank you for always asking me to take part in Seventh Star Press book happenings. If your visiting my site for the first time I just want to say thank you and I hope you like what you see!





Connect with Megan and Reading Away the Days at the following:
http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.com
Twitter: @Teamwolf1988

Timely Note! Be sure to visit Reading Away the Days on Tuesday the 29th October to celebrate Megan turning 24 on the 30th!  A big birthday giveaway is happenign!  There will be 24 prize packs to 24 winners and it is International. Megan is also taking bookings for blog tour’s for YA authors that I organize for FREE for 2013 slots!




1 comment:

ShareThis