Friday, October 12, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: The Bunny's Review


Today I am excited to introduce you to Suzie Welker, of The Bunny's Review!  We have had the privilege of working with Suzie on numerous occasions, including blog tours and other announcements, and always love our appearances on her site.  On a personal note, I am extra excited as Suzie is a fellow Kentuckian with me, and shares a passion with the great book Watership Down (I had a hunch she liked this book, considering the name of her blog! LOL).  Suzie also has a tremendous work ethic which I admire, running a farm, handling a full time job, and tackling a heavy amount of book blogging!  Never underestimate a bunny, LOL!   So get ready to meet one of the great ladies of the book blogging world, Suzie Welker!

-Stephen



The Bunny's Review header image!



Blogger Spotlight #7:

1. Tell us a little about yourself, and your background.


Suzie with her son!
I am a divorced single mom to an 18 year old in college.  I have a passion for bunnies and reading.  I grew up on a farm.  Actually, I still live on the family farm.  I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 bunnies.  All my animals except 1 is a rescue.  I love to cook and create new dishes to serve.  I am love my electronics.  I remember being in the third grade when I checked out over 10 books at the school library.  I cannot remember what book or even if I read the book but that start a life-long love of books and reading.  I currently have over 5,000 digital books and close to 20,000 print book in boxes.  I am thankful I live in an old farm house so I can display most of my print books.




2. What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favorites?

I will read any fiction genre.  However, I do not read non-fiction.  I have a couple of favorites that I read every year.  Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams are my favorite.  These two timeless classics will never be old.  Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell,  I love the story and how the author portrayed the South, The Bell Witch by various authors.  I live close to the area that the Bell Witch was supposed to haunt and enjoy reading different authors take.  I read my bible yearly. It is a book that I have to replace every 2-3 years.

3. When did you start your blog, and what motivated you to do it?

I started blogging in November 2011.  I only started to give my opinion about the books I read.  I never dreamed I would connect with so many amazing authors.  Or that I would have more books to read than I have time to read.  After connecting with several authors, I changed from reading traditional published books to indie/self published.

4. How did you come up with the name for your site? Is there a story behind it?

Well, if you know me or have met me at any online social media then you know I have a passion for bunnies.  After searching the internet, I found no site with The Bunny’s Review for the name.  I knew it was meant to be.  Granted, it was the only name I wanted so I did not look for a different name.

5. What kinds of genres do you cover on your site?

I cover all fiction genres.  The only type of book I will not read is non-fiction and any fiction with vampires or zombies as the main focus.

6. What kinds of regular features do you have on your site?

I offer daily book features, author interviews, guest post and weekend Twitter blast.  I am in my creative phase of trying to make up a document where authors can list their free books and I make a daily post.  I also offer several services for authors needing an assistant.

7. What is the hardest thing about being a blogger?

Turning authors away because I do not have time to read/review their book.  I hate having to tell an author (or anyone) no.  I admit to being a very fast reader and usually read a 400-page book in a day.  But, there is so many great books published now that I do not have time to read everything that is offered or that I want.

8. What are your favorite things about being a blogger?

I love reading and blogging.  It has opened up a completely new world for me.  I have met so many amazing people.

9. If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site, what would you say?

Please read all bloggers review policies.  Make sure the blogger will review your genre.  Do not just assume a blogger will read any book offered to them.  Every blog has different policies there is not a set standard.  When sending out emails be considerate to the blogger, do not send a blogger a copy/paste from a different email or something you have forward to several different bloggers.  What captured the attention of one blogger may just turn another blogger away.  Do not tell the blogger that you saw they loved one book and your book is very similar so you know they will love your book also.  Offer to have an interview or guest post on the blog instead of a read/review.  Ask the blogger to tweet about your book, post to their Facebook fan page.  There are many different types of promotion besides a read/review.  If you keep pushing for reviews, readers will not know anything about the author.  Some readers connect to authors through interviews, guest post or just looking at the book cover.  Authors remember bloggers are doing this from the kindness of their heart.  They are not paid.  Do not be pushy and treat them with respect.

10. Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time?  

Thanks Stephen and Seventh Star Press.  I am so glad to have connected with you.  It has been a learning experience.  I enjoy working with any author.  As always, be creative in your writing and be creative in your promotion.  I have found the more creative I make post or how I interact with my followers the more attention the author’s book will receive.




Connect with Suzie at the following links

Website: The Bunny's Review
Twitter: @kybunnies
Facebook

4 comments:

  1. The bunny, the bunny ooh I love the bunny....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to meet you Suzie! What a great idea featuring bloggers! They deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree firm on number 9 question/answer I get many people/writers throw their book in my email face and just cover it.

    I want to point out that if you send me an email, do not add attachments to first email... those will get marked spam or just tossed. Make a connection with the potential blog/site, not that I am anyone of importance... but you don't throw all your cards out on a first date? If I ask for a hard copy or .pdf, please have something ready... guiding me to Amazon to get the download is like a my fist in the air. I am willing to share what I can, but I too have things happening and right now promotions is sometimes not in the cards.

    Thank you for this Suzie, it is a pleasure to get to know you better. I am a newbie to this site and got here from your Author Michael West... and Face-book.

    Drive By Blogging... Nice Post/Site!

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Oh No, Let's Go Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! We love the bunnies and Suzie does so much to promote authors. She's incredible!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis