Saturday, November 24, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: Workaday Reads

Today we will revisit that wonderful land to the north known as Canada, to bring you an interview with Sarah, the creative force behind Workaday Reads.  Sarah has hosted quite a few visits from SSP authors, and all of us have a great appreciation for her excellent site!  We encourage those of you who are not yet familiar with her blog to give it a visit when you are finished reading the interview!
-Stephen  





Blogger Spotlight # 13

Tell us a little about yourself, and your background. 

I'm from Ontario, Canada. I have a 3.5 year old little boy who has yet to eat or sleep well, and yet never stops running. I'm obsessed with nail polish and change my nails once or twice a week. I work full-time during the day doing accounts receivable for a large company, am currently doing a part-time internship with an ebook publishing company, and spend my "spare time" reading, reviewing and posting on my book review blog Workaday Reads.


What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favorites? 

I read all genres, however I especially love science fiction. I've read too many great books to be able to list favourites.


When did you start your blog, and what motivated you to do it?

I started my book blog in Feb 2011 because my reviews were beginning to take over my personal blog. 


How did you come up with the name for your site? Is there a story behind it? 

The name of my personal blog was Workaday Ramblings, because I wrote it during the day while I was at work. When I started my book blog, I wanted to keep the Workaday because it was fairly unique, so I simply changed the Ramblings to Reads. 


What kinds of genres do you cover on your site? 

I cover all genres except erotica.


What kinds of regular features do you have on your site?

I have reviews, author guest posts and interviews during the week, and on the weekend I have On My Wishlist, which is a meme I currently host, as well as a Week in Review post where I mention books I read and got.


What is the hardest thing about being a blogger? 

Finding the time to write posts, and lately, finding the time to read books in order to have reviews to post.


What are your favorite things about being a blogger? 

I have discovered and read many awesome books and conversed with authors that I would never have met if I wasn't blogging. The community between book bloggers is very friendly, and is a great way to discuss books with people who know what you're talking about.


If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site, what would you say?

Read review policies. Personalize emails. Remember that there is a person behind the blog, and that a review is only that one person's opinion about the book.


Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time? 

I am hosting two reading challenges next year which have sign-ups open now: the 2013 Ebook Reading Challenge and the 2013 Self-Published Reading Challenge.



Be sure to connect with Sarah and Workaday Reads at the following links:
Blog site: www.workadayreads.com
Twitter: @wrkreads


1 comment:

ShareThis