Thursday, November 15, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: Bookishly Me

Today we head across the Atlantic, to visit with the creator of Bookishly Me, Kim van Aken!  Bookishly Me  has hosted a number of things related to SSP, and each and every time has been a great experience for the various authors.  I'm very excited about introducing you to one of Holland's top speculative fiction book bloggers, so proceed and enjoy the interview!
-Stephen





Blogger Spotlight #12:


1. Tell us a little about yourself, and your background.

I’m Dutch, 28 years old and live with my two kittycats. I work fulltime, currently still as a Customer Service Employee, but in a week I’ll start a new job as a Department Secretary. Jeej!! Besides reading I also love to do crafts, fixing up old furniture and painting. I’m a pessimist and love everything pink!


2. What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favorites?

That all depends on my mood sometimes I am in need of something really dark and scary and at other times I need something to cheer me up. Some authors I really enjoy are Chris Carter, Karen Rose and Jim Butcher.

3. When did you start your blog, and what motivated you to do it?

I started my blog over 2 years ago because I wanted a spot to dump my thoughts about the books I read. I found a few other blogs and thought a blog would be a good spot to do so. A month later I found Goodreads but, well I already had the blog and I stuck with i tand I haven’t regretted it once.

4. How did you come up with the name for your site? Is there a story behind it?

Well I changed my blogname two times the last time was earlier this year. There isn’t a story behind it I just lacked the inspiration for a good name and somehow while using a online dictionary I came up with the name Bookish which lead to the name Bookishly Me and since it wasn’t taken yet I took it.

5. What kinds of genres do you cover on your site?

I cover a lot of genres on my blog. As long as it is fiction and I like to read it, it is welcome on the blog.

6. What kinds of regular features do you have on your site?

Besides the reviews, blogtours, guest posts and interviews (you know the regular stuff) I do not have any regular features I have on my blog.

7. What is the hardest thing about being a blogger?

Saying no is definitely the hardest. I find it incredibly hard to say no to a review request especially when the story appeals to me. I have to draw a line sometimes. And blogging is a lot of work. I did not know that when I started blogging. There are times when I fin dit hard to find the balance between a fulltime job, blogging and life.

8. What are your favorite things about being a blogger?

Meeting new people from all over the world. I met some amazing people since I started blogging.

9. If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site, what would you say?

Always check policies! I do think that is the most important thing. See if they cover your genre, what format they like/want. If it’s not you it is better to look elsewhere.

10. At this time, do you notice any differences in what is being covered on the European-based blogs versus the United States Blogs and elsewhere? If there are some trends unique to Europe, let us know!

When it comes to English blogs there aren’t really any differences I notice. Nowadays we all have access to the same books thanks to ebooks.

11. Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time?

Well I hope you will stop by for a visit! If you have any suggestions, questions or like to talk books please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks to Seventh Star Press for having me here today!



Be sure to connect with Kim and Bookishly Me at the following links:

3 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to regret having such a boring name for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, you are awesome! I think a visit from you in the Spotlight should happen soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good interview. Clicking over to check out the blog.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis