Saturday, December 15, 2012

Blogger Spotlight: Sheila Deeth

Welcome to the latest edition of Blogger Spotlight, where today you will have a chance to meet Sheila Deeth, one of SSP's favorite bloggers who we love to have on our tours!  Sheila is one of those individuals who is a very dedicated blogger and reviewer, as well as being a wonderful author!  I think this interview contains some nice insights from someone who has a good perspective on both the blogger side of things as well as the author one.  When you are finished, be sure to check out both Sheila's blog as well as her works as an author! 
-Stephen




Blogger Spotlight #16


1. Tell us a little about yourself, and your background.

I call myself a mongrel Christian mathematician--that covers most of it, but I'm also an English American, Catholic Protestant, addicted to reading and writing, with three grown-up sons, and no dog (I really miss my dog).

2. What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure? Any favorites?

Those grown-up sons spent many years explaining to me that I have no taste. I'll read and enjoy almost any kind of book, listen to and enjoy almost any kind of music, and I can't list favorites because the page is never long enough.

3. When did you start your blog?

I started blogging 4 years ago. I'd just been to my first (and only) writers' conference (a present from my Mum) where I kept hearing how you'll never get published if you don't have an internet presence. A blog seemed like the easiest way to get started, especially since those sons were policing each other and wouldn't allow me on facebook. Luckily now they've grown a little older they've relaxed their restrictions--I'm just not allowed to friend them.

4. What motivated you to participate as a reviewer and host guest posts and similar activities from other authors and presses, in addition to your own pursuits as an author?

I have a really bad memory, so I never know what I've read or whether I enjoyed it (but I can always reread). Writing book reviews started as an effort to get more organized, but the wonderful side-effect was I began to meet authors and publishers on the internet and get review requests, which led to hosting guest posts and enjoying the help and encouragement of lots of new friends.

5. What kinds of genres do you feature on your site?

I've featured writers in lots of different genres--that "no taste" thing as the sons used to say. I probably avoid erotica though.

6. Do you have any regular features on your site?

I'd struggle to host a regular feature. It would devolve too quickly into "when I remember."

7. What is the hardest thing about being a blogger?

Remembering to blog.

8. What are your favorite things about being a blogger?

Seeing those numbers of pageviews go up when I host someone--I feel like I've done something of value for my guest. Connecting with so many new friends has been great too.

9. What do you think being an author yourself brings to your coverage and reviews of other authors and presses? Do you feel it gives you some additional insights?

To be honest, I think it's the other way around. Writing book reviews, reading in different genres, getting to know different presses and authors through their guest posts... all those things give me new insights into writing and make me (I hope) a better author.

10. Has being a blogger been helpful in your own outreach and participation with blog sites when representing your work?

Being a blogger has helped me a lot. It introduced me to ebooks and the possibilities of being epublished. It helped me meet lots of authors and publishers. It showed me what I could (at least try to) do in terms of marketing and finding readers. And it's given me lots of blogging friends who've been kind enough to host me on my blog tour.

11. If you could give a piece of advice or two to authors looking to work with a blog site or particular blogger, what would you say?

Visit the blog beforehand so you can tailor your post to fit. Then remember to send as much information as possible (pictures, links etc) in one big email so your host can set the post up easily.

12. Any last thoughts or things you might want to say to readers who are finding out about your blog for the first time?

Well, there's a coffee cup waiting to welcome you, and I include coffee recommendations with my mini-book-reviews, but no book ratings--integers are far too restrictive to be used in describing words.




Connect with Sheila and her blog at the following links!




7 comments:

  1. Thank you! I always love reading this blogger spotlights. It's wonderful to find myself spotlighted here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila for a wonderful insight into the woman behind the pen or should I say computer keyboard :). Enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, you rock! So many of us are what your boys call 'without taste', although I would call it eclectic!Gypsy Shadow has a little bit of everything because of it. Isn't it wonderful to live in the age of availability of such a wide range of authors and books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, ladies. Sheila, I can so identify with you on your answers to these questions, Particularly the first two! Love your sense of humor and your talent at expressing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Fun to be part of this--and part of so many things through internet friends and great publishers.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis